The first few hours:
- Always wash your hands before touching your new tattoo!
- Remove bandage within 2-3 hours after getting your tattoo. Do not re-bandage.
- Wash your tattoo with an unscented anti-bacterial soap. Be gentle, do not use a washcloth or anything abrasive. Only use your hands.
- Gently pat your tattoo dry with a clean cloth or paper towel. Do not rub or use a fabric with a rough surface.
The first 3-4 days:
- Using an unscented hand lotion free of dye and perfume, moisturize your tattoo 4-5 times daily.
- On the 3rd or 4th day your tattoo will begin to peel. This is normal! Do not pick at the skin. Continue using unscented lotion to keep the skin soft.
- Wear clean, soft clothing over your tattoo for the first 2 weeks.
- Use lotion for minimum 2 weeks, 1-2 times daily.
What not to do:
- Do not pick, scratch, peel, slap, rub or irritate your tattoo.
- Shower regularly but do not soak your tattoo for 2 weeks. No swimming or hot tubs!
- Do not expose your tattoo to the sun for at least 3 weeks, and after that use sunblock to prevent fading and aging.
- Avoid abrasive materials, jewelry, or shoes that rub against your tattoo.
- Do not let anyone touch your tattoo, unless they wash their hands.
- Beware of gym equipment and other public surfaces, germs are everywhere!
If you experience discomfort you can:
- Ice your tattoo to reduce swelling.
- Elevate your tattoo to reduce swelling.
- Take shorter showers.
If you do not take care of your tattoo it may become infected or damaged. Infections appear very red around the outside of the tattoo and may have thin red lines extending from it and you may experience abnormal bleeding, pus, or oozing. If you think your tattoo is infected seek medical attention immediately.
Don’t hesitate to call or email the shop if you have any questions or concerns!